cFos Software Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cFosSpeed and Nagle’s Algorithm

Go down

cFosSpeed and Nagle’s Algorithm Empty Re: cFosSpeed and Nagle’s Algorithm

Post by Dr.Flay on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:00 pm

I asked about this in 2018 and got no reply.
So I ended up doing tests with a willing game server host, and what you need to know is this;
It suits some games and not others.
It tends to suit some game servers better.

If the game sends lots of map data etc. you should leave it on to benefit from the throughput.
If the game only sends and receives location and control data because all the resources are pre-installed, disabling Nagling may improve your ping and game response times.
This is also true for game servers. If the server is only a hub for connectivity and command, and no map data is sent, or a different server is used for the actual map data, then disabling Nagling can speed up the response with all the clients.

The tests were done using a publicly hosted UT99 and the server admin reported a very noticeable improvement.

I would recommend using the handy tweaker tool from speedguide.net as you can access the relevant registry options in a more convenient way, and keep backups when you make changes.

I would say that in this age the way most online games work, changing this setting will be detrimental for most people.
Server admin may want to contemplate it depending on the game they host, as they are likely to see the biggest improvement depending on the game and the way data is delivered.
Dr.Flay
Dr.Flay
Newbies
Newbies

Anzahl der Beiträge : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by RamboNTanga on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:52 am

Could this possibly be controlled with cFosSpeed?
It would be interesting to try and understand how it could affect the overall performance of the systems and if it benefits at all. As from many recommendations online it should be disabled, but I guess it has some scenarios that would be enough justification for Windows to have it enabled by default.

Many games use UDP for faster response but does Windowsn implementation do anything for this packets too?

RamboNTanga
Newbies
Newbies

Anzahl der Beiträge : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by El Narizon on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:21 pm

I tested it and it killed the Network connection to/via the Router to the internet completely.
After re-enabling it (default) and rebooting the network was available again.
El Narizon
El Narizon
Newbies
Newbies

Anzahl der Beiträge : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by cFos Chris on Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:27 pm

cFosSpeed transmits packets as they are and doesn't change them usually (apart from messing with RWIN and related stuff). If Nagle's algorithm is active and hence two packets are sent instead of one, cFosSpeed will not interfere or un-nagle in any way.

My opinion is that Nagle's algorithm schould be enabled by default. Otherwise, as you say, other application could be aversely affected. With regard to games: the game itself should set the TCP_NODELAY socket option if it wants to lower the delay by disabling Nagle's algorithm.

Please note that it only affects TCP, not UDP, not ping (ICMP).
cFos Chris
cFos Chris
cFos Moderator
cFos Moderator

Anzahl der Beiträge : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by El Narizon on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Interesting topic.

I also would like to see a response.
El Narizon
El Narizon
Newbies
Newbies

Anzahl der Beiträge : 20

Back to top Go down

cFosSpeed and Nagle’s Algorithm Empty cFosSpeed and Nagle’s Algorithm

Post by Knightmare on Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:47 am

Hello,

I had a questions about how Nagle’s Algorithm works with cFosSpeed in regards to packets. I was doing some research on how to optimize my Windows 10 system for gaming, and one of the steps in the article said to disable Nagle’s Algorithm via Windows Registry. Looking at the description of what Nagle’s Algorithm actually does got me thinking about how it would impact cFosSpeed or if cFosSpeed is somehow a replacement for this feature:

Nagle’s algorithm essentially bundles data packets at the cost of a smoother internet connection. Having Nagle’s algorithm enabled on your computer may contribute to latency issues when playing games online.

This site had a more detailed description:

Nagle Algorithm: It is mean to develop the efficiency of TCP/ IP networks by reducing the number of packets that required sending over the network. This is designed by an engineer named John Nagle so; it is named as Nagle Algorithm. It works by combining very little data packets together but frequently at the expense of real-time responsiveness as the algorithm delays in sending small outgoing messages until they together reach the desired amount of bytes to make them “worth” sending. Nagle Algorithm is enabled by default in Windows 7 and the succeeding versions. This algorithm was designed to avoid problems like small packets known as tinygrams, on slow networks. The algorithm says that TCP/IP connection can have only one outstanding small segment that has not yet been acknowledged. The definition of “small” differs but generally it is defined as “less than the segment size”, which on ethernet is about 1500 bytes. Nagle’s algorithm facilitates in controlling blocking when small packets are sent constantly by TCP. And when it is enabled, this helps to prevent a flood of these packets.

However, there were other sites I found that went on to claim you should only disable the algorithm for a temporary period of time, since the algorithm is used by Windows (duh) to perform certain tasks, such as Windows updates and any other Windows tool that uses the internet. I don't believe that any sort of manual registry configuration should be labeled as a temporary solution; if you make a manual change in the registry, it's something that you want to be permanent, since it's difficult to navigate. I didn't know if anyone had any insight about this feature in Windows and how this might impact cFosSpeed--if at all.

Thank you in advance!

Knightmare
Newbies
Newbies

Anzahl der Beiträge : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum